New Laws Allow Veterans to Hire Attorneys
If you are a Veteran seeking assistance with your benefits, call us today!
NEW! In December 2006, Public Law 109-461, the Veterans Benefits, Health Care, and Information Technology Act of 2006 (Act), was signed into law. Section 101 of the Act amended chapter 59 of title 38, United States Code, governing the recognition of individuals for the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims for benefits before VA. Effective June 20, 2007, the Act permits claimants seeking VA benefits to hire and pay an attorney or agent after a notice of disagreement has been filed.
We are now offering our legal services to assist veterans in obtaining benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).
There are two different types of benefits you may be eligible to receive; service connected compensation and non-service connected pension benefits.
If you are a veteran with an injury or disease that occurred or was aggravated during active military duty, you may be eligible for service connected compensation.
You may be eligible for non-service connected pension benefits if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You are a veteran who has served at least 90 days of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war.
- Your family income is below a yearly amount set by law.
- You are permanently and totally disabled or you are age 65 or older.
Eligible wartime periods include the following:
- Persian Gulf War August 2, 1990 through a date still to be set.
- The Vietnam Era August 5, 1964 through May 7, 1975.
- The Korean Conflict June 27, 1950 through January 31, 1955.
- World War II December 7, 1941 through December 31, 1946.
It is very important if you are a veteran who has served one day during any of these periods of war and has a current medical condition that you contact us as soon as possible to discuss the benefits you may be entitled to.
A surviving spouse, child, or parent of a veteran may also be eligible for some benefits.
If you believe you may be eligible for any of these benefits or have questions, we’d love to hear from you. The Sawaya Law Firm is Denver’s personal injury law firm. With over 40 years of experience and a compassionate team prepared to listen to your story, The Sawaya Law Firm is here to help. Contact us anytime.