Wrongful Death Lawyer Colorado Springs
Losing a loved one is the hardest thing a person will ever have to go through. When that loss is due to someone else’s careless or reckless actions, it’s even harder for family members to move on. They are not only deeply saddened by the loss, they are also incredibly frustrated and angry.
Sometimes, families in Colorado Springs just want to try and move on without pursuing a lawsuit. Later, they learn that the financial burden associated with the loss is too much for them to bear. Unfortunately, by then, it’s often too late. It’s for this reason that if you have lost a loved one due to another person’s negligence, you should speak to a wrongful death lawyer at The Sawaya Law Firm right away.
- 1 Types of Wrongful Death Claims in Colorado Springs
- 2 What Fatal Accidents Can Be Cause for a Wrongful Death Claim?
- 3 Why Do People Avoid Thinking About Filing a Wrongful Death Claim?
- 4 What Kinds of Damages Are Available Under Colorado Wrongful Death Law?
- 5 Contact Our Colorado Springs Wrongful Death Law Firm Today
Types of Wrongful Death Claims in Colorado Springs
Many different situations could result in a wrongful death claim in Colorado Springs, CO. However, they generally fall into one of two main types:
- Wrongful acts – These cases include violent crimes such as murder, vehicular manslaughter and more. Although the perpetrator of a crime will likely face a criminal trial, family members left behind can also file a wrongful death lawsuit against them. Wrongful death claims are civil actions that can help family members to claim compensation for their loss.
- Negligence – The majority of wrongful death claims allege this type of misconduct. When a person is negligent, they may fail to follow traffic laws, disregard safety regulations or fail to warn others of dangers. These are just a few negligent actions that could result in a wrongful death claim.
What Fatal Accidents Can Be Cause for a Wrongful Death Claim?
Any time there is an accident, it could result in a wrongful death. Due to the traumatic circumstances surrounding these deaths, many people think they don’t happen all that often. Sadly, wrongful deaths are quite common in Colorado Springs. The six most common examples of fatal accidents that could result in a wrongful death claim are:
- Car accidents – These are often caused by negligent drivers that speed excessively, drive while distracted or drive while impaired. Other causes of fatal car accidents include vehicle defects and defects in the road.
- Truck accidents – When a commercial truck is involved in an accident with a smaller vehicle, those in the passenger vehicle often don’t survive the crash. Truck driver negligence can cause these accidents as well as trucking company negligence, defective parts on the truck or even poor road conditions.
- Motorcycle accidents – Other drivers often don’t look for motorcycles and fail to see them when they are on the roads. This is the main cause of motorcycle accidents. When they happen, they are often fatal for the biker.
- Medical malpractice – Birth injuries, misdiagnoses, pharmaceutical errors, surgical errors and more are all examples of medical malpractice. When it occurs, and a doctor or healthcare worker is negligent, it’s sometimes fatal for patients.
- Defective products – Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring their products are safe to use. Sellers are also responsible for making sure they are selling only safe products. When they fail to do so, and someone dies as a result, family members can bring a wrongful death claim against them.
- Workplace accidents – Some types of work, including construction, are very dangerous. When a worker is in an accident and dies, family members can file a claim with workers’ compensation. There are some instances though, when family members can also file a wrongful death claim such as when a negligent third party caused the accident.
These are just a few of the most common types of wrongful death claims. If your loved one has passed away, and you suspect it was due to the negligence of another person, it’s important that you speak to a Colorado Springs wrongful death lawyer right away.
Why Do People Avoid Thinking About Filing a Wrongful Death Claim?
After losing a loved one, most people don’t automatically think of filing a lawsuit. For one reason, family members understand that a wrongful death claim will not bring their loved one back. However, a wrongful death claim can help ease the financial burden of the loss. It can help you to recover the deceased’s lost income, the support and services they contributed to the household and more.
One of the biggest reasons people are hesitant to file a claim after a wrongful death is because they simply want to move on with their life. They don’t want to be involved in a lawsuit that could drag on for several years. They don’t want to relive the scenario of the death over and over again during that time.
This is completely understandable. However, it’s important to understand that an attorney will take on all of the legwork of the case. While you are trying to move on with your life, an attorney will work on the case, negotiate with the insurance company and the other side and take care of all the details. There is very little that you will have to do.
Lastly, while some wrongful death cases do go to trial, most are settled out of court. This can expedite the process of the claim and get the matter resolved much more quickly. Filing a wrongful death claim doesn’t necessarily mean that you will be dealing with the lawsuit for years to come.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available Under Colorado Wrongful Death Law?
In Colorado, there are several different types of damages that are awarded in wrongful death cases. They include:
- Economic damages – These are losses incurred that have an actual dollar value. These types of damages include, among others, medical expenses incurred before death, loss of income and loss of an expected inheritance.
- Non-economic damages – These damages are losses sustained by the death that don’t have an actual dollar value. These damages include, but are not limited to, pain and suffering, loss of care and guidance and loss of consortium. In Colorado, non-economic damages are capped unless the death was due to a felonious act.
- Solatium – In Colorado, those filing a lawsuit can ask for solatium, which replaces non-economic damages with a set amount. This can only be claimed when the plaintiff also claims economic damages.
- Punitive damages – These damages are awarded only for gross negligence or recklessness. They are not awarded in every personal injury case, but often, they are granted in wrongful death claims.
An attorney from The Sawaya Law Firm can help you and your family to claim the full amount of compensation you are entitled to receive after the loss of a loved one.
Contact Our Colorado Springs Wrongful Death Law Firm Today
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence of someone else, the Colorado Springs wrongful death attorneys at The Sawaya Law Firm want to help. We know how important it is to hold others responsible for their negligence. We will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us for your free consultation and let us help make things right for you and your family.