Car Accident Attorney in Colorado Springs
Getting hurt in a car accident can be a painful and confusing experience. The situation can become even more stressful when you face mounting medical bills and non-stop calls and e-mails from the insurance companies. Fortunately, The Sawaya Law Firm is here in Colorado Springs to help you to get through this difficult time and look towards a better future.
For more than 40 years, our car accident attorneys and staff members have fought hard to protect the rights of crash victims and their families in Colorado Springs, El Paso County and communities throughout Colorado. If someone’s careless or reckless driving caused you to suffer serious injuries or the loss of a loved one, you can count on us to provide the compassionate service you need and to aggressively pursue all compensation you deserve.
To discuss your case in more detail, call or reach us online today. We are available 24/7 to take your call and answer your questions. Our initial consultations are always free.
- 1 Why Do I Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident in Colorado Springs?
- 2 What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents?
- 3 How Do I Prove Liability in a Car Accident?
- 4 What Are the Most Common Injuries from Car Accidents?
- 5 Common Places Where Car Accidents Occur in Colorado Springs
- 6 What Damages Can I Recover in My Car Accident Case?
- 7 What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
- 8 Our Colorado Springs Car Accident Attorneys Are Ready to Help
Why Do I Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident in Colorado Springs?
An insurance company may try to convince you that you don’t need a lawyer to handle your claim. However, if your crash resulted in serious injuries or a loved one’s death, nothing could be further from the truth. You will need a lawyer by your side to protect your rights and interests.
The Sawaya Law Firm can start work immediately on your car accident case. We can take steps on your behalf such as:
- Conducting a comprehensive investigation of your crash
- Gathering and studying all of your medical records
- Working with experts in fields such as accident reconstruction
- Calculating all of your damages
- Demanding full and fair compensation from the insurance companies
- Going to court if you are unsatisfied with settlement offers that you receive
- Taking care of your property damage claim and all other related matters.
We help Colorado Springs car accident victims on a contingency fee basis. In other words, our legal fees will be contingent upon us securing compensation for you. If we do not recover compensation on your behalf, you will owe us nothing. If we secure compensation, our payment will reflect a percentage of your recovery.
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents in Colorado Springs, CO can occur for many different reasons. As we have seen through the years at The Sawaya Law Firm, driver negligence is one of the leading causes of these crashes, which can turn victims’ lives upside down. When we take on your case, we will investigate whether your crash resulted from negligence such as:
- Refusing to yield the right of way
- Making unsafe lane changes or left turns
- Talking on the phone or texting while driving
- Other forms of distracted driving
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Fatigued driving.
In some cases, driver negligence is not the cause of the auto accident. For example, an accident can occur when a car has a defect or a defective part such as faulty brake system, flawed steering column or tires which are prone to blowouts. Rollovers may also occur due to a vehicle’s defective design. If an automotive defect caused your crash, we can seek justice for you through a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer and other responsible parties.
Additionally, many crashes occur due to poor road design, construction or maintenance. In those cases, we can explore whether a government agency may be held accountable for the harm that you and/or your loved ones have suffered.
How Do I Prove Liability in a Car Accident?
Colorado is a “fault” state. If another driver caused your crash due to his or her negligence – meaning the driver was “at fault” – you can pursue compensation for your injuries and other damages through filing a claim with the driver’s liability auto insurance provider. In order to prove the driver’s liability, your injury attorney at The Sawaya Law Firm can gather and analyze evidence such as:
- Accident scene photos
- Surveillance camera footage
- Statements from witnesses
- Black box data
- Cell phone records
- Breath or blood test results.
In many cases, we consult with accident reconstruction experts. These highly trained professionals know how to determine why an accident happened based on the evidence. They typically prepare reports and may even testify if a case goes to trial.
The driver may not be the only party that is liable for a car accident. For instance, if the driver caused a crash while working, the driver’s employer could be held responsible based on the driver’s negligence or its own negligence. If a store, bar or restaurant served alcohol to a visibly intoxicated or underage driver who, in turn, caused your crash due to his or her intoxication, that party could be held liable as well. This is often called a “dram shop” claim.
What happens if the other driver doesn’t have insurance? You may be eligible to file an uninsured motorist (UM) claim with your own insurance company. You should have this coverage unless you rejected it in writing. You can also file a UM claim if you suffered injuries in a hit-and-run accident, or a crash caused by a driver who fled the scene and cannot be identified. Additionally, you could potentially file an underinsured motorist (UIM) claim if the driver who caused your accident lacks insurance that fully covers your losses.
Our goal at The Sawaya Law Firm will be recover the maximum amount for you in your car accident claim. We will work tirelessly to identify all sources of compensation for you in order to reach that goal.
What Are the Most Common Injuries from Car Accidents?
We work with clients in Colorado Springs who have suffered a wide range of injuries in car accidents. Because of our experience, we understand the unique challenges that accident victims face. Some of the most common injuries that our clients suffer in crashes are:
- Head and brain injuries (including concussions and other forms of TBI)
- Neck injuries (such as whiplash – a frequent injury in rear-end collisions)
- Back injuries (including herniated discs)
- Spinal cord injuries (often resulting in paralysis)
- Internal injuries (such as potentially fatal organ damage)
- Facial injuries (resulting in scarring or disfigurement).
We understand how these injuries are often life-changing. Many victims cannot return to work for a long period – if at all. At the same time, they may face extensive medical costs – from emergency treatment to ongoing rehabilitation. A high number of car accident victims also suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychological disorder marked by anxiety and flashbacks.
Common Places Where Car Accidents Occur in Colorado Springs
Serious car and truck accidents may occur anywhere. But Colorado Springs and El Paso County have some locations that appear repeatedly on lists of the most dangerous intersections for crashes. If you live and work in Colorado Springs, it is likely that you pass through some of intersections on a regular basis.
Eight of the top 10 Colorado Springs intersections with the highest frequency of crashes in 2016 are interchanges along Interstate 25, according to crash data from the Colorado Spring Police Department. They are:
- I-25/W. Cimarron St.
- I-25/S. Nevada Ave and S. Tejon St.
- I-25/E. Woodmen Rd.
- I-25/W. Garden of the Gods Rd.
- I-25/N. Nevada Ave., S. Rockrimmon
- I-25/W. Fillmore St.
- I-25/Uintah St.
- N. Powers Boulevard/Barnes Rd.
- S. Academy Blvd./Airport Rd.
- N. Academy Blvd./E. Platte Ave.
- N. Powers Blvd./ Dublin Blvd.
- Austin Bluffs Pkwy./ N. Academy Blvd.
- N. Powers Blvd./ Stetson Hills Blvd.
- I-25/S. Circle Dr.
- I-25/ USHY 24 Bypass
- S. Powers Blvd./Galley Rd.
- N. Academy Blvd./Galley Rd.
- N. Powers Blvd./ N. Carefree Cir.
- N. Academy Blvd./N. Carefree Cir.
If you have been injured in a Colorado Springs, CO car accident caused by a negligent driver at any these intersections, we want to hear from you. Contact a Colorado Springs car accidents attorney at The Sawaya Law Firm.
What Damages Can I Recover in My Car Accident Case?
If you suffered any form of physical or emotional injury in a Colorado Springs car accident as the result of someone else’s negligence, The Sawaya Law Firm will seek all compensation that you are due. The amount of damages that we pursue on your behalf will depend on the specific facts and circumstances in your case. However, we typically pursue damages for our clients such as:
- Economic damages – These damages can be established through documentation and expert testimony. They include past and future medical expenses, lost income and decrease in future earning capacity. (We also assist our clients with property damage claims.)
- Non-economic damages – These damages can be established by looking at the severity of a car accident victim’s injuries and the effect of those injuries on the victim’s ability to enjoy life. Many victims suffer significant emotional distress as a result of their car accident injuries.
If your loved one died in a car accident, we can pursue wrongful death damages on your behalf. Those damages can cover funeral and burial costs as well as the loss of the services and support that your loved one would have provided.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you get hurt in a car accident, you should expect the at-fault driver’s insurance company to contact you. An insurance adjuster may ask a series of questions, or the adjuster may request that you give a formal recorded statement or grant access to your medical records. Often, the insurance company will make a settlement offer.
You are under no obligation to speak with the insurance company. In fact, if you do talk with the insurer, you could say something that the insurer will try to use against you. For this reason, you should simply decline to talk with the insurance company or accept a settlement offer until you talk with your lawyer from The Sawaya Law Firm first.
Remember: Insurance companies are out to protect their profits. They will look for ways to pay as little as possible or avoid paying anything at all. The Sawaya Law Firm, however, will be focused solely on protecting you and your right to full and fair compensation.
Our Colorado Springs Car Accident Attorneys Are Ready to Help
You need to act quickly after a car accident in Colorado Springs. The Sawaya Law Firm can get to work on your case right away. Contact us today for a free review of your case and learn more about how we can put our experience and resources to work for you.
Michael established The Sawaya Law Firm in 1977 and built it into one of the largest personal injury law firms in Colorado, with more than 20 lawyers and 80 staff members serving clients from five offices located in Denver, Greeley and Colorado Springs. Throughout its history, the firm has stayed true to its 12 Core Values, which emphasize excellence in advocacy and a commitment to providing outstanding client service. Michael studied sociology and economics as an undergraduate student at The Colorado College, and he earned his law degree from the Texas Tech University School of Law. In addition to being involved in several legal and community organizations, Michael enjoys playing music and cooking, and he has written a book on spiritual matters.