What if I disagree with the reconsideration decision?

You may appeal the reconsideration decision by requesting a hearing before an administrative law judge. The judge’s office will send you notification of the time and place of the hearing. You will be expected to present evidence supporting your claim for benefits and follow the rules of civil procedure. It is helpful to have an experienced disability lawyer represent you at the appeals hearing. An experienced Denver SSD attorney can help you prepare for the hearing and help you understand the kind of questions the administrative law judge will likely ask. An attorney can help you gather new medical information and arrange for medical experts and other witnesses to testify on your behalf. After the hearing, the administrative law judge will make a decision based on all the evidence.

If you disagree with the judge’s decision, you may ask the Social Security Appeals Council to review the decision. The council may deny the request for a review if it believes that the judge made the correct decision. You may file a lawsuit in federal court if you disagree with the Appeals Council’s decision.