The scene after a car accident can be chaotic. Your car may be smashed up. Debris may be scattered all over. You and others may all have serious injuries. You could very well be in a state of shock. Suddenly, bystanders may surround you. Within a few minutes, you may hear the sirens of police cars and emergency medical technicians arriving at the scene. In those conditions, it can be difficult if not impossible to think clearly about what steps you should take next in order to protect your rights.
Our car accident law firm hopes that you are never in an accident of any kind. However, if you do get involved in one, we want you to be prepared. That is why we have provided a downloadable “Auto Accident Kit.” We encourage you to print a copy and keep it stored in your glove compartment or center console so you can have it handy if you should ever be involved in a crash.
After an accident, you can use our Auto Accident Kit as a guide to collect information at the scene. This information can play an important role as you move forward and seek compensation for the harm you have suffered. The information includes:
- Accident details – Date, time and location of the accident; a description of the crash; and whether police were called to the scene, tickets were issued and a report was prepared.
- Other driver information – Name, address, contact information and driver’s license number.
- Insurance information – The other driver’s auto insurance company and policy number.
- Witness information – Names, phone numbers and brief statements from any witnesses.
- Vehicle damage – A diagram which you can use to indicate where the damage occurred on your car.
- Photos – A diagram which you can follow to make sure that you get the right photos from your accident. As you will see in the diagram, you should try to get shots of the front, back and sides of your vehicle and any other vehicle involved in the accident. You should also try to get photos of surrounding debris, road signs, traffic lights and other aspects of the scene. (However, when you take photos, do not put yourself in danger by standing in the street while traffic is moving around you.)
- Bodily injury – The kit also provides a diagram that you can use to indicate where injuries occurred on your body.
Our Experienced Colorado Car Accident Lawyers Are Ready to Help You
If you have been hurt in a car accident in Colorado, contact The Sawaya Law Firm as soon as possible for a free consultation. We serve clients throughout the state from our offices located in Denver, Greeley and Colorado Springs. If you use our Auto Accident Kit, it will help us to review your case with you and get started on pursuing the compensation that you are entitled to receive. However, even if you do not use the kit, you should not let it stop you from getting the legal help you need. Don’t wait: Call or reach us online today.